Sunday, February 8, 2009

Caleb's Hospital Visit

Caleb had a small cough that started about a week ago. He lost his appetite and energy levels and he was wheezing at night. He never got a fever, but I scheduled a doctor's appointment for Thursday morning... The doctor told me that his O2 levels were low and started him on a neb treatment. Afterward wasn't any better, so she sent us to the ER. The first thing they did was put this mask on him just in case he was contagious. Taking your kid to the ER is never fun, but he looked at me and said, "It's too bad you can't see me smile mom!" So I pulled out my phone camera to take a picture of his smile.


So, he wasn't contagious and they suspected pneumonia. They gave him another neb treatment with a neat new dino mask and we waited for them to take us back to get an xray.


While we waited they put this numbing cream on his arm sot hat when/if he needed an IV or blood work done, he wouldn't feel the needle. I thought that was pretty cool! Caleb wasn't thrilled with the shot idea, but he liked the idea of not feeling it!

We had the xray and the doctor came in and said hat they found no pneumonia but that his O2 was still low.. They gave him some steroids and after a while, came back in with the xray... apparently there was slight pneumonia. Border line, is what she said... so, he was going to be admitted for observation, since his oxygen was still low... After being there for hours, the boys were doing pretty good! Those DS's were the best Christmas gifts ever! (Thank you Gayl!)
Caleb was in good spirits at this point, and Marcus and I decided that I would go to work that night. My mom came to get Alec and Marcus stayed with Caleb. So that is how our weekend started... Marcus and I kept everyone updated on facebook and text messages and emails. Caleb stayed in the pediatric ward with Marcus until Saturday afternoon. I came back to stay with him on Friday and it really seemed like he was back to himself and ready to go home! He was literally bouncing off the walls!
The doctor wanted him to stay another night though, because he had a bad night and had to be put on oxygen. She was also convinced that he would feel worse before he would get better. Caleb was super bummed... and I didn't want to leave him that night... but, Marcus stayed with him again and I took Alec home. Crystal's gang came up later that night and on Saturday morning I took Alec and Jayden to visit him and to wait for him to be released.
So, Caleb is home now. He's on 4 medications 1 steroid and 2 antibiotics and we are giving him neb treatments every 4 hours. He's still not back to himself and he's still tired, but he's not coughing anymore and I think he's on the way to feeling better! It's been a LONG weekend! I'm glad I had my family and friends for help and support... and I'm even more thankful for Marcus! :)

2 comments:

Dravor said...

What you all do not see in the video is the 2 HDTV's in the room, the nice fold out couch, the PS3, yes I said PS3, DVD player, and private full bathroom with shower.

And Caleb and I beat The New Super Mario brothers on the DS!

Party of 5 said...

Sounds like a miserable experience (except the PS3 of course!!) and I hope Caleb is feeling better by now and never has to go through all that again!