Friday, September 5, 2008

I'm an Aunt again!

I got a call from my dad yesterday around 5:15 telling me that my sister Carrie had gone into labor, she was 5 cm dilated and they would not be stopping the labor this time. So I start my 2 hour trip down tot he hospital (maybe 3 hours with traffic). I think I got lucky with the traffic, cause I got there at 7:15! She had called me while I was walking into the hospital to tell me that they were breaking her water and she was 6 cm dilated.

I got to her room and she was screaming in pain! She was crying and screaming and sweating and just looked miserable. So I grabbed a wash cloth and got it wet. I was wiping her forehead and trying to get her to breath and keep calm. We had asked for an epidural, but the nurse told her she needed to finish the IV before getting the meds. I got her some ice and helped her to remember to breath and to try and keep calm. She had 3-4 large contractions and it seemed like that IV wasn't moving along any.... She looks up at me and said, "I have to poop!" Well my eyes widened and I don't know if that scared her or what... She reached down and screamed, "Oh my God the baby's coming!!" Sure enough... there was the head. No doctor or nurse in sight... So we called for the nurse and Carrie gave a small push and the head was out. I saw right away that the cord was wrapped around the neck. I push Carrie's shoulders back and told her to just wait a minute... She screamed, "I CANT!" So... I told her about the cord, which I didn't want to do, but it stopped her...

So the nurse cuts the cord and tells Carrie to push again. I grabbed her knees and helped her pull them up to her chest and she gave 1 big push. The baby came pretty quickly! She was born at 7:45 and weighed 5 lbs 4 oz and 18 inches long. She was such a tiny little baby! Her name is Lexi Nicole Dunbaugh! Overall, it was an awesome experience! And I'm glad that Carrie included me in it!

I took some pictures of the little lady! She looks a lot like Carrie did when she was a newborn! :)











2 comments:

Jamie said...

WOW!! That sounded intense. She was so lucky that you were there to help her through that. It's an experience in a lifetime to watch someone's birth! Congrats to everyone!

Mommy said...

Congratulations Aunt Robyn!