It all started on Saturday night, September 27th. Kevin and I went to my aunt's house that day to wash our cars and BBQ. I was 2 days over due and we really hoped that something would happen. My aunt teased me because while we were at her house, I ate a half a jar of pickles, then we had dinner, then I had 3 bowls od ice cream. (I know I'm a pig) But she thought the whole pickles and ice cream thing was funny. At around 10:00 pm, we were getting ready to leave and I went to use the bathroom. Well, I really felt like my water broke while I was on the toilet. I didn't pee, but a small amount of fluid came out. When I looked at it was cloudy. I walked out and told everyone what I thought and no one believed me. They talked me into thinking it was just pee and we were on our way out the door when more fluid came out. I wanted to call my Dr. before leaving and she told me to go to L&D. Since we wanted my aunt in the delivery room with us, she came along. We actually went home first to drop off our dog Bailey and to pick up our hospital bag. On the way to the hospital I leaked a lot more fluid Kevin and my aunt finally started to believe me! It started to rain and my contractions started, but I could barely feel them. When we got to the hospital, they confirmed that my water had broken and that my contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart. Once I saw the contractions on the monitor, I could feel them better. We got into our room (big room) and settled in. The nurse, Barbara, came in every 45 minutes to hook me up to the monitors for about 15 minutes at a time. When I wasn't hooked up the the monitor, we tried to walk around the halls. My contractions got worse, but I wanted to go as long as I could without the epidural. We had gotten to the hospital around 11:00 and at 3:00 am, Barbara came in and I was in so much pain!
The 3 of us had forgotten all about breathing to relax and Barbara had to remind us! Breathing properly helped and I felt so stupid that we had forgotten! Kevin helped me get into the shower and that helped relax me too. Barbara came in at 5:00 to check me. I was so sure that I had to be at least 6 or 7 cm since I was already 3 cm before we came into the hospital. Well, she said that I was just about 4 cm and I started crying right there! 4 cm!!!! I was in labor for 6 hours and only dilated 1 cm!!! I was so scared that it would take all day to dilate and I was so tired and I didn't think I could handle the pain any more. Kevin held me and Gayl suggested that we go ahead with the epi so that I could sleep. So Barbara called my Dr. to come to the hospital. (they couldn't give it to me until she was there...) She gave me an IV and my Dr. got there around 5:30. I got my epidural! Whew! I finally got a little sleep. Not much though, because my mom and Rachele showed up. (They were so excited that they just couldn't wait any longer.) Kevin was out cold, but I stayed up to visit a little. From the time I got the Epi, things went faster! I know Barbara came in at some point to introduce me to the nurse who was taking over her shift, but I was so groggy that I couldn’t remember her name. She was training someone, so I had 2 girls taking care of me. Around 8:00 they came in because CJS’s h/b dropped down to the 80’s! I got a little scared. They rushed around, gave me some air and put an internal monitor on him. They used some sort of vibrating thingy on my tummy to wake him up a little. His h/b went back up and they watched me carefully. Every time I had a contraction his h/b dropped. At around 9:30, they were concerned and called my Dr. up. She checked me and I was 10 cm dilated! I couldn’t believe that it was already time to push! At 9:45 we started some practice pushes, but those practice pushes ended up being all I needed to push him out! He was born at 9:59 am. They plopped him up on my belly and I was in such a shock! I looked at Kevin and he was crying which made me cry too! Kevin cut the cord and they took him to the other side of the room to clean him up while they stitched me up. My aunt was crying the whole time and she was so happy that we included her! CJS cried from the moment he arrived, until they placed him back in my arms. My little man is so adorable and I would definitely do it all over again for him!! Now I understand why no one could quite explain the feeling! It’s just something you have to see for you
rself! And I’m so happy I have! We were moved to our private room an hour after he was born and we had so many people visiting us. I was so tired and the first night was hard, but Kevin was a huge help and I couldn't have done it without him! He stayed in the hospital with me the entire time. They offered several classes and I went to 2 of them. (breast feeding and new parents class) I'm so happy to be home now!
No comments:
Post a Comment