Saturday, June 25, 2005

Another adventure with grandma

The last time I was here...I was 15 years old and I had only gotten my drivers permit. It was a week after school had let out for the summer, so it was about the same season as it is now. We made the trip in 2 days. We drove for 5 hours and then stopped in a hotel overnight. Drove the rest of the distance in the morning. It was the first time I had seen Dane's art studio and I LOVED it! It was a small studio with their little shop up front. It was in the basement of a whine gallery and Dane & Mary Etta's apartment was on the very top floor. I got to play with some of the clay and I also got to use Mary Etta's pottery wheel. I made 2 bowls that I glazed and fired up. I still own both of these pieces. On the way back home from that trip, I was driving and g-ma's car broke down on the side of the highway. I'll never forget that! We were going uphill and she was trying to tell me that normally, when driving up hill you had to accelerate. Well I was trying to accelerate, but the transmission died on us, so she got out of the car and waved someone down with a white plastic bag. Just watching her embarrassed me. But someone pulled over to help us and we had the car towed to a shop and we were able to get a hotel nearby.
Well, we made it again! Grandma, Caleb and myself set off on Friday morning for Wayneville, N.C. I must admit that I wasn't really too thrilled about the trip down, It's a looong drive and I would be doing most of the driving! But, I am so glad I came! I'm having the greatest time down here! The Plan: We had planned to leave Friday morning around 5:00, but G-ma didn't even wake me up until 5:30. Fine by me, since I didn't get to bed till around 1:00 in the morning. Mapquest said that the trip would be 7 and a half hours by taking 66 to 81 and then basically staying on 81 all the way down to Tennessee and then taking 29 down through TN and into N.C. We were going to make the trip in one whole day with a few breaks along the way. We had planned to stay here till Wednesday, July 29th. (Grandma & Dane's birthday)
Our Trip:We finally left the apartment around 8:00. We stopped in Fairfax for some drinks and stopped in Manassas for Gas, antifreeze and oil check. From there, Caleb slept for a good 2 hours. We were already on 81 by the time he woke up, and even after waking, he seemed to be fine. No fussing or crying. A little thirsty, so I gave him some juice, but we didn't stop. About a half an hour before Lexington, we were driving behind a large pick-up truck and beside a huge 18 wheeler. The truck in front of me ran over a large piece of tire without breaking or swirving. There was no time for me to react and I went right over it myself... Breaking a little, but there wasn't anything I could do to avoid it. Things seemed to be fine, so I kept driving. As we got near Lexington my grandmother said, "this truck driver is pointing down at us." The first thing I thought about was, maybe I left the gas tank open or something... But I couldn't remember... Just to be safe though, we pulled off at the exit. We stopped at a big Burger King/Gas Station/Truck stop type thing. I walked around to the other side of the car and saw what it was.... My whole right bumper was falling off and a corner was scraped off from hitting the road. My grandmother could tell it wasn't good by the reaction she saw from me... Luckily I was able to just snap it right back on, but I can tell where it was bent from dragging it on the ground...
We got some hot dogs and some drinks and got back on the road. (we got Caleb one, but he wouldn't eat... ) I put Elmo on for him and he fell asleep before it was even over. I was getting really tired too and I was worried about being able to drive the whole way, but I kept thinking... Another 4 hours, another 4 hours... I think my grandmother saw my eyes drooping and she kind of jokingly said, "I'll drive for you if you need a break!" Ha ha! She hasn't driven in over 2 years since she broke her hip. She still has a drivers licence and all, but she just hasn't had the chance to. I think our family has treated her like she's handicapped and can't drive anymore. Well, I was SO freaking tired, so I said, "OK!" So, I pulled over at some exit and let her in. Now, it's been 2 years since driving, but it's been even LONGER since driving a stick shift! W-A-Y longer! But, she did great! I guess it's like riding a bike! She did great! We had 100 miles to go until Bristol, and we agreed that I would take over by that point. However, when we had about 40 miles to go, I fell asleep and she drove until we got on 29. We pulled over to get Caleb something to eat. He had barely had breakfast and didn't eat lunch. (stopped at McDonald's.) Well, he wouldn't eat, but he did play a little on the playground... I was getting a little worried, because he was burning up, wouldn't eat and he slept almost the entire way! We were almost there though, so we jumped back in the car and I drove the rest of the way here. The view was absolutely beautiful!!! OMG!!! So many Mountains and these are nothing like the mountains west of No. Va or in Charlottesville! These were really, really big and full and just wonderful! All around us; to the right, the left, behind us and in front. I wish we had time to stop and just look at them!
Waynesville: Once we got off of 29 and into Waynesville, we hit a little rush hour traffic (from Ashville) and we got a little turned around too... But we finally made it... (10 hours after leaving home!!!!) We found a good parking spot right across the street from D & M's studio, which is different from the last time. Their shop is now on the main floor (whine place is gone), apartment is still upstairs and their studio is in the basement. We got out and said hello... The square dancing that I seem to remember happening on Sunday (actually happens on Friday's) was starting up. They block off the center of main street and put down sand in the street for dancing. Then they have live music and everyone goes down to have a good time. We strolled down and had some fun! Watched mostly, because I was tired and Caleb was still feeling sick... Stopped at a coffee and sandwich place called "Cool Beans" and had some dinner. I had a chicken wrap, with cream cheese, spinach, tomatoes, onion and some sort of vinaigrette dressing. Yum! It was delicious! We got back to the shop and I unloaded the car. Put our stuff upstairs and then went back down to sit on the sidewalk. The sun was going down and there's a perfect view of this huge mountain that this little town is snuggled up against. There's mountains everywhere you look, but this view was just great! Just what I needed to sit with Caleb and relax. This little town is full of art studio's a shops all up and down main street. A fellow friend and artist (of D&M's) came over and we all had a nice conversation... He showed us some of his scribbles and explained his work. Very talented guy! After closing up the shop we all went upstairs. I set up Caleb's pack n play and he climbed in and fell RIGHT asleep! He was still running a temp and I knew he wasn't feeling well if he was that willing to go to sleep! I stayed up and talked to g-ma, Dane & Mary Etta for a bit... I think we all decided to go to bed around 11:00 or so... I fell asleep so fast! I was so tired from my lack of sleep and all of the driving! The bed was nice and comfy and the pillows were really nice! I need some pillows like these!
Saturday: Caleb woke up sometime in the night and I brought him to bed with me. We slept until about 8:00 which was awesome! Got some breakfast and showered... Dane & Mary Etta opened shop at 10:00 and Grandma, Caleb and I walked all along Main to look at the other shops. There are some really cool things here! It's a good thing I don't have any money to spend, because I would be broke if I did! Ha ha! We stopped at Nick & Nate's for some lunch. We had a yummy, yummy pizza and Caleb had some pieces of crust and some cookies and chips... (he's feeling a whole lot better!) Then we went into a huge huge store with all sorts of things in it! Clothes, camping gear, shoes, candy, toys, bake ware, and weird little odds and ends... They had some antique toys for sale that were really really cool!!!! Metal tops and the slinky dog... wooden blocks and sling shots. Anyway... it was nice and I wish I DID have money to spend... Probably a good thing I don't... Oh well...
After lunch we took a nap. Got up around 4:00 and we drove over to a nice, big wooden playground! (Those are the best) Caleb had fun! He drank a whole lot of water! (I don't know where he put it...) We played and then we went back to the shop. The shop was closed early today (6:00) and we all went to Dinner at some chicken place... I had the Ham. Caleb ate Rice, Ham, Beans and more Rice! (Making up for yesterday I guess...) Every time we've eaten out, I've had myself sweetened Ice Tea! I love Southern Tea! Makes me have to Pee every hour or so, but who cares! It's awesome! I love it!
We're home now and it's actually really late... almost 12:00. Caleb's asleep and if I know him... he's going to get me up around 7:00-8:00 in the morning. So... I better check my mail and jump off here... Tomorrow, we're going to go take some pictures at the mountain overlook.

No comments: